w/e - Sunday 15th April 2012

    Monday 9th April 2012                          

For the first time since my arrival, the barometer is significantly dropping, which will encourage many species to feed. It is predicted to bottom out at 981mb or so and stay there for around for 36 hours. Anyone choosing to fish during this time will probably see their catch improve. With the low pressure comes the rain, and at the moment it is very damp outside.
Andy Burnett arrived early but as yet to see any larger fish in his swim. Seamus and Mark have added to their Tinca toll, but they are the only anglers present.
As I am now in my 3rd week of reports, may I remind everyone that this site is funded by myself and the contributions of a few readers who appreciate the time and effort needed to keep it going. I could easily put annoying pop-up or have a members area charging a flat yearly fee but choose not to. Anyone wishing to donate may do so by clicking my paypal button below.

Or perhaps you would like a naughty T-Shirt? priced at €7.50 and available from Bridies Tackle Shop. Availble in S - M - L - XL - XXL and XXXL

Andy finished up with about 40lb whilst Big Dave had a bit less. Seamus and Mark eventually packed up whilst the weather brightened for an hour with 26 Tench between them. Seamus also had a 5lb Bream and Mark recorded the first Eel I've heard about this year.

The rain at 4pm was a short, but very heavy shower and we also had a hailstorm just after 6pm. I still needed to get my daily fix so set up just before 7pm and got bites from small nuisance fish until I hit one which turned out to be an 8oz Rudd. As it got dark, I had two male Tench of just over 3lb a piece. The second had my hook I lost two day ago, so at least I have the consolation knowing it was not a huge fish afterall. Daniel Hoare fishing alongside me caught a female of 4lb 10oz which was showing signs of imminent spawning..
    Tuesday 10th April 2012                       

The temperature plummeted overnight so I considered it a wise decision to stay in bed until nearly 9am. my first lie in for a long time. When i did walk down the river, I found no less than five anglers below the disabled swims. I wasn't surprised to hear they were all drawing a blank, and for the rest of the day they perseverence was not rewarded. Just a handful of Perch and Roach was all they caught. On the hot stretch Andy and Dave were catching but had gone long before I expected and I'm not sure of their totals.

Daniel and myself had aspirations on a successful evening between the trees. I had just one bite in two hours but thankfully it was a 5lb 2oz Bream. Daniel had 6 fish, but nothing over a pound. It's going to get very cold again tonight and I pity the lads in their bivvies whose parts are going to colder than mine!

    Wednesday 11th April 2012                

Possibly not as cold as the previous night, but still a very bright dawn which detered this individuals enthusiasm! The Dublin lads had very little action during darkness with a Bream of 3lb and an Eel being the only excitement. Two early arrivals had a pair of Tench within minutes of each other, one of these was the big female I netted last week, easily recognised by a nick in the dorsal fin. I was a wee bit dissapointed to see she had dropped in weight, albeit only by an ounce.

Alan Buttner from Dublin with "Tisha" our resident celebrity seven pounder!

On the hot stretch, Brian Bohan started very briskly but as the sun came up, the overall stamp of fish went down. At one stage there were over 15 anglers fishing the river, but some went home dissapointed. As the day progressed, Alan Buttner and Jamie Shields shared nine Tench between them with Jamie getting a specimen of 6lb 1oz. His father Christy also netting a brace. Elsewhere, below the bridge it was grim. I suffered my first blank near the beer table, as did the two anglers above me. Larry Kelly and Shane Wrightson both caught small Tench as dusk beckoned.

The Tinca Tally now stands at 158 which is quite unbelievable for April 11th!

    Thursday 12th April 2012                     

The bivvies had their occupants chucking up the zzz's when I ventured out as dawn broke this morning, and within thirty seconds of casting, I hooked my first Tench for three days, I was starting to shake, such was my cold turkey. Anyway, it was safely netted and I added to my toll with a 3lb 15oz Male an hour later. Before 9am there were three other Tincas caught, all around the disabled swims. If they had arose an hour earlier, that number could have doubled.

On hot stretch above the bush was Dara Lynch who caught steadily throughout the night with a 50lb mixed bag with a large Roach that weighed in at 1lb 11oz.

I've noticed this site is getting many visits from Australia and America. I'm going to set up a facebook page today. It would be nice to see the faces of regular readers.

The ultra-violet rays of the morning sun probably killed off any hopes of the tench feeding throughout the day and only one was added to the mornings total by Christy Shields. On the hot stretch, anglers came and went, I'm not sure if anyone put together a decent weight. A lot of fish had amassed under the bridge. By mid afternoon, the heavens opened and all but the diehards below the bridge vacated their swims. Despite what I considered ideal conditions from 3pm onwards, only one Tench was caught and that was by myself at 8.30 this evening. It was a small female of just over 2 and a half pounds.

I would expect this weekend to be very busy and there are fish to be caught, but it may be difficult as the forecast predicts another cold snap is imminent.

    Friday 13th April 2012                             

It is amazing how many anglers are doing overnight sessions this early in the year. Each night there is someone different. Last night there were three on the hot water stretch and one near the duckpond. Clive from Dublin (I think) caught his first Tench at around 07.15 this morning after a long period of nothingness. It was a huge fish but only weighed 5lb 7oz. Opposite the lillies near Ryans gate, Seamus Moorhouse was plagued by Rudd and, on this occasion, was frustrated in the Tinca department. On the gusher, Dessie O'Connor and friend Dan caught a mixed bag. Although their catch rate was not as prolific as others had experienced on previous nights, Dessie did have the excitement of a very good looking Bream of 5lb 5oz.

Dessie O'Connor and a 5lb 5oz Bream caught near the gusher

By mid afternoon the stretch saw many anglers and probably the best catch was by Steven Pascoe who had a very large Roach of 1lb 14oz. It was hard to say whether it had spawned or not. He also had a Rudd of a pound with a lot of smaller fish. On the disabled swims there were two Tench caught and a Bream of nearly 4lbs. I suffered my first completely blank day of the year, in fact I never had a bite at all. I think it's time to take up sky diving 'cos the anti depressants simply ain't working. I wonder if the village of Muff in Co. Roscommon has a diving club?

Hello to Ross in Sydney, Australia. Are you missing the hot stretch?

    Saturday 14th April 2012                      

Only a fool gets up to go fishing in sub zero temperatures, but as anglers, this is what we do. On this occassion, I resisted the temptaion of bagging up by remaining in a warm bed until 07.30. I believe I made the right choice as there were 6 anglers below the bridge who caught just a solitary Tench between them. Two of them were still in their bivvies when I walked along, such was their enthusiasm! There were a couple of overnight anglers above the bush near Ryans gate and I'm told did very well but had left before 07.00. With very little cloud cover forecast for today, I believe it will be quite hard. I hope I'm proved wrong?


A very late report due to being out on the island where we fished for five hours for seven fish between three of us. It was bloody cold and ice was starting to appear on the brolly. I was glad to get back to the harbour.

I had a midnight walk to find the group of five still searching for the elusive tincas on the disabled swims. Two were caught this evening and a handful of mongrels. Before I went out this evening, I learned it was harder than I predicted. One angler had a Roach of 1lb 12oz but in general the fishing was very poor..

    Sunday 15th April 2012                         

There was a white tinge of frost on the grass in the garden this morning so the Chinese Grand Prix was a far more entertaining prospect than freezing my dingly-danglys on the river. A further two very small Tench were caught along with a good number of Hybrids. Two anglers were near the gusher but left before I had my walk. At mid day it was still very cold and there were not too many anglers at present.

Not the best of afternoons with the sunshine revealing few visible fish. Daniel Hoare fished the pole to record around 25lbs of the usual suspects. Shane and Rory Wrightson were above the bush which performed poorly but still managed to catch about 15lbs. For the first time in what seems an eternity, I had the river to myself this evening, and that included the fish which had also decided not to show as I blanked again!

Some local residents have commented about the amount of rubbish supposedly left by anglers whilst bivvying on or around the disabled swims. This was complete nonsense as most, if not all the mess is caused by local youths near the beer table, which incidently is a memorial to lots of people who drowned over two hundred years ago. The Dublin lads who have persevered without too much success in the past few days, cleared every bit of waste, even stuff which was probably not theirs. I found just a solitary teabag that went a miss. I'll raise my (half empty) glass to them. They were a credit to our sport.